Saturday, November 26, 2005

OMG... Totally not in my budget... :(

Today, I woke up not feeling well (it was also really early and I decided that I should probably sleep a little while longer) and then when I next woke up, it was to the phone ringing. It was the contact person for the Calgary Hitmen and he and I had a great conversation about a donation towards the silent auction. It turns out he knows who my mom is because they had the Hitmen out at her school sometime in the past couple of weeks playing hockey against some of the staff and students... All I did was mention my last name and he said he recognized it from somewhere. I said my mom is a principal in the CBE and he knew who is was immediately. He told me that the Hitmen would donate a voucher for 4 tickets to any home game. I was SO happy!!! It is an awesome donation!!! I ran through the shower and got pretty dressed up so I could go to the mall and talk to some of the stores about donations and then went to school...

I got to class a couple of minutes late but we hadn't started anything major yet. Dee wasn't there and that worried me a bit (I called her later, she wasn't feeling well and I'm going to send her the homework later). We did some of the 12 tone stuff that we have been working on and I think I am finally understanding it... the problem is that now we are working with pieces that have the rows mixed up and today we started hexagonal sets. I think I get this stuff and the assignment for Monday is based on stuff we have been doing all semester so it's basically a piece of cake!

Because I was running late, I had parked in the parking meters on the floor closest to where my class was. When I got out to the car, around noon, I put my laptop on the passenger seat and when to walk around to the driver's side and I noticed that the rear passenger side tire on my car was almost flat... Low enough that I could drive on it without driving on the rim but not anywhere near as full as the other 3. I called my mom and asked her if I should try to drive on it and she said it was up to me. My other option was to call AMA. So, I got into the car and I could feel that the car was sitting funny. But I started it and drove to the nearest gas station. I put some air in the tire and went to borrow their pressure guage and checked it. It was at 32 PSI and then, as I'm down on my hands and knees (wearing a skirt incidentally...) I can hear that the tire has a slow leak and appears to have a cracked sidewall. I waited 5 minutes and checked the pressure again and it was at 28... So I called Canadian Tire on the South Side of town. I get most of my automotive stuff done through there and my records for the past couple of years are there so I tend to take my car there. The guy working there (who I have had issues with the last twice I have been in) told me that he could fit me in around 1:00pm. Considering it was about 12:15, I figured that would be ok. He then went on to say that they were running three appointments behind and I said I have an appointment at 1:45 and he said otherwise he could fit me in at 4:00. I said I needed to be in Calgary by 5 and he said, "well, that's not my problem, is it?" I am on the phone and in tears because I can't figure out how I am going to get everything I wanted to done and I also didn't want to miss my doctor's appointment (I had to see him...) and I was basically freaking out. I hung up on the guy from Canadian Tire after he was so rude to me and I said, "fine, I'll figure something else out." I called AMA at that point and they told me that if I could get my running around done, get John and our stuff together, we could have the car towed to Calgary (unless I wanted to try the other Canadian Tire) but the first 160 are free because I am a CAA Plus member and after that it is between $1.75 and $2.75 per km. I choked a bit over that and said I would call Canadian Tire North first. I called and as I was still quite upset, I think the guy there took a bit of pity on me... He said they could get me in right away. I got there and they took the tire off and checked it and said they needed to replace it. I had them replace both of the back tires because they will wear unevenly and they are under warranty and it is easier to buy them in pairs than individually at this point. I was relieved after they said they could match the tires I have on the front of my car and it would only cost me the replacement warranties on the new tires, the disposal fees on the old tires and checking the old tire for the leak. I was so relieved. Until the mechanic came to get me to talk to me about the rim on one of my tires. It needs to be fixed because it is bent and it starting to crack on the inside edge... I asked about driving on it to get it back to Calgary and they didn't recommend it. I was told by the same mechanic that I could go to the wreckage yard and check for a new rim. I said, "I have to be at the doctor's... ummmm.... 5 minutes ago..." and he said something kind of inappropriate which shocked me but made me laugh and said they would get me out of there quickly so I wasn't going to be too much later. So I ended up having to buy a steel rim to put my tire on and the old rim went into a bag in my backseat to bring into the city. I need to take it to Alberta Wheel Repair tomorrow morning between 8am and noon. So, what started out as "it will be about $20 to patch it if we can patch it" turned into $105 dollars, two new tires, a new rim and the rest of my day could continue.

I made it to the doctor almost a half hour late (good thing I called to tell them I was going to be late...) and talked to him about what I needed to and got him to look at my knee. Turns out I have strained my MCL and ACL which is causing major pain to shoot through my knee and down the back of my leg. It was nice to know that my knee pains weren't "all in my head" or anything... He recommended that I go see a physiotherapist and RICE it ASAP. I am going to do my best to make it feel better because right now it is killing me.

I fonally got home and John had made KD and I don't think I have ever been that happy to eat KD. All I had "eaten" all day was a blue Gatorade and a fruit punch juice box so I was pretty hungry... John and I packed our stuff and loaded the car and drove back to Calgary. Mom kept calling to make sure we were ok and to check in. On our way in we stopped at Michael's and picked up some stuff because mom and I were going to work on our Christmas cards. We also stopped and grabbed dinner for the three of us and then we met mom at Grandma and Papa's. We ate and watched a bit of "Christmas with the Kranks" and then John left and Mom and I tried to figure out this "Waterfall" card that she wants to make for Christmas. It is realy cool but kinda complicated and I am such a perfectionist that I was getting really frustrated when it wasn't working for us. Mom commented at one point that my stamping looks like artwork while hers looks like a child's work. I disagree with that though.... I told her it's just that I am super-picky about everything I do right now. We only made one card and it wasn't working properly and it was getting later so we decided that we would make a few of the base cards and we will add the complicated parts later. She and I went to Michael's (did I mention they were having a HUGE sale?) on the way home and then stopped at Safeway and I picked up some groceries. I dropped my mom off and then went home...

Well, I intended to go home. I stopped at Brentwood to visit my friend Shaun at work (mainly to find out what time I was meeting him tomorrow) and helped him pull the stuff he was going to buy for himself. Because I helped him, he passed me off a small bottle of "Hypnotiq" that he had bought me... It was nice of him. :D

I stopped at Wendy's and got a frosty on the way home and put it in the freezer... I came down to write on here and probably won't eat it until tomorrow though. I wanted it when I bought it and now, not so much. It's kind of the story of my life right now. (No appetite and not hungry when I do have food...)

I was watching "Madagascar" and Laurel called and I talked to her for a while. It was cool to talk to her. I feel like it has been a while... Tomorrow night (technically tonight) there is WILD THING and I am really glad I am going. I realized I haven't been in almost two months. Due to the TEC weekend and then Reunion and then having to be in Lethbridge on weekends, I was at WILD THING in September and Reunion for TEC and nothing since. I miss the community... :( Tomorrow night should be great!

No comments: