Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Long day... I am emotionally exhausted. :'(

Last night I said I was going to do some work and go to bed early. So I was working and talking to Ben online and he didn't realize I was still in Calgary. He asked if I wanted to go for coffee or whatever and I said yes but I didn't have a car and he offered to come pick me up. Around 11pm, I heard the back door being unlocked. Now, considering my grandma doesn't have her keys, my brother is in Lethbridge, my grandpa was asleep and I was under the impression that both of my parents were at home asleep, this kind of freaked me out. Turns out, it was my dad. He was dropping off/picking up some stuff. So I helped him move some stuff into the house and when Ben got here he got drafted into moving stuff too. We excused ourselves and left finally and went to Boston Pizza. We had BBQ Chicken pizza and I had a Bellini and Ben had a couple of Peach smoothies and then we drove around and talked. Actually, we drove all the way out to Cochrane and back and then sat in my living room and talked. Ben left just before 4am and then I did a few things towards my paper and went to bed. He and I had an amazing conversation and I feel like we are closer than ever...

This morning, I intended to get up early. But after going to bed at almost 6 (by the time I got there) it didn't really happen.

I got up to my mom calling to say that my dad was up and about and hadn’t come home last night until late… She woke up around 4:30 and he still wasn’t home. I told her that I was still up at 4:30 and I knew he hadn’t been at my house so I was no help. She went on to tell me that when she got up around 6:30 or so, he had apparently turned off the power in the house for some reason so she had gotten ready for work in the dark. I’m not sure what is going on there but he is back to acting weird.

I went upstairs to have a shower and get ready for the rest of the day after hanging out and reading a book and doing some other stuff for a while and sat and talked to my grandpa and the phone rang. It was my dad calling to say he was about to leave, he would be over in about half an hour. I ran back downstairs and got my clothes, ran through the shower without washing my hair, got dressed and flat-ironed my hair (and burned my left pointer finger on the flat-iron), threw some stuff into my laptop case and grabbed my boots and a sweatshirt and ran out to back door as my dad walked in the front door. I put my boots on outside on the back deck and then walked down the alley. I called a cab (my bag was A LOT heavier than I had anticipated) and me it on the cross street, after avoiding my dad as he drove my grandpa’s car down the alley and around the block and then got into the cab and met my mom at North Hill. She and I ran some errands, including picking up a Silent Auction donation from Calgary Jewellery and going to Carlton Cards (for Rick and Joyce’s present) and Bentley at Market Mall. I got a new purse (my older one is white with a flower print and while it’s fun, it’s not exactly appropriate for everyday winter usage) and bought my mom a Christmas gift. We also stopped at Staples and photocopied the McCrimmon Christmas letter onto appropriate paper so it could go into their Christmas cards so those can be mailed.

We got back to my house and mom and I went to work making Lipshevnik so I could take it to Britney’s. It was done in pretty much record time but as we were about to pull it out of the oven, Dad and Papa showed back up. Dad was giving me a hard time about a bunch of different things (where I was going, what I was taking, why was I taking a present, etc.) and I finally just ignored him and left... Sometimes, it’s easier to ignore him because then he can’t take however I react and work with it. Mom and I argued on the way across town because of it though and that was no fun. I hate that he still has that much power over our lives. :(

Mom dropped me off at Brit’s around 7. She agreed to come back around 9:30 whether I needed a ride home at that point or not so we could figure out a bus ticket. I knew I would have a ride home with one of my friends if I needed it so it wasn’t really an issue. It was cool to see who was at Brit’s… Her mom greeted me like a long lost daughter which was interesting because I kind of thought she hated me when we were younger… But Korrina, Meghan, Tammy, John and Matt were already there, plus some people Brit knows through school. Ben came a bit later and Courtney and Lindsay joined us when they got home as well. I was surprised Taryn didn’t come though. We all had fun hanging out, eating and talking… I've decided that Matt and I spend too much time together... I moved my purse from one room to another and he commented on it being new, which it is. On one hand, I am VERY impressed that he noticed, on the other hand, I think we may see each other too much. :D We played some board games, such as “Bibleopoly” (which we killed pretty quick - we decided if we are going to play it, it might have to be the weekend people come down for the Cab or some weekend when we are drinking and then we will make up "interesting" rules), Settlers of Catan, Rummykub, Uno, Table Hockey and Chess. As the evening dwindled, Brit brought out her guitar and sang for us, we sang a couple of songs and then we broke into smaller groups and sat around and talked. I ran out with my mom and organized finances for the bus tomorrow and then came back. It started out as all of us in the living room having two or three different conversations and then ended up as Ben, Courtney and Meghan in the living room in one conversation and Brit, Lori, Jan (I’m guessing on the spelling, his name is said “Yan”) and I in the family room having another. It was an interesting conversation to say the least…

We finally left Brit’s around 1am and then Ben drove me home. I was too tired to do much more then come in and go to bed but sometimes, life doesn’t always work out the way you had intended…

I had most of my stuff packed and when I went to finish packing (including food for the bus) I found that the cherries I had bought (that I had to negotiate with my mom to buy) weren’t in the fridge. Not only were they not where I had put them though, they weren’t anywhere in the fridge, either upstairs or down. I realized that I hadn’t seen them earlier in the day either… I called my parents house (yes, I am aware it was 1:30am) and got my dad. I asked about them and got back, “oops. Well, I wanted a snack and they were there so I ate them. Why, were they yours?” When I said, “they were my breakfast for the bus tomorrow!” he replied with, “what time did you need them for?” to which I said, “before 7am!” I told him that he was inconsiderate and that I couldn’t believe that he wouldn’t even think to check or leave a note or something!!! I couldn’t believe how selfish and thoughtless he had been! I know it seems like a stupid thing to be upset about but I was raised in a household where if you weren’t sure about something in the fridge (like, whose it was) you didn’t eat it! And the chances of my grandpa having cherries in December, let alone having cherries at all, would be none to nada to zilch! The other thing is, there is tons of other things in the house he could have snacked on and he didn’t, I had shared other things with him earlier that evening that he had later complained about because they weren’t cold enough (they were cold when I gave them to him but when you let them sit for 4 hours, they tend to warm up) and they were apparently “gross” when they were warm… Somehow, I’m not seeing how that is MY fault. (Added later.) I finally went to bed around 3… He tried calling here after that and I told him not to call the house again or he would wake up my grandpa which isn’t fair to him. I then hung up and tried to get some sleep…

No comments: