Monday, December 05, 2005

I. Hate. Snow.

This morning I woke up with a headache.
Not a teeny, tiny, little one.
A HUGE, MAJOR, MIGRAINE sized one.
I took a couple of Tylenol and went back to sleep with the hope it would go away. I woke up the hour later and the dizzyness had subsided but the headache wasn't completely gone and I decided it was time to get packed and get going.

I left my grandparent's house around 10:15. I got onto the highway and it was slow going but I figured I'd just go with it. I was following the yellow line and I was cruising at pretty much the speed limit until just past Nanton. The visibility kind of sucked up until then, with blowing snow and fog but after that, it got even worse. I went from driving in the left lane to being almost in the ditch on the right hand side due to it snowing so hard, with fog and blowing snow that I couldn't see more than a foot in front of my windshield. I was doing 40 with my 4-ways on most of the way from Stavely to Claresholm and I don't think I have ever been that scared...

I pulled off in Claresholm and got a Strawberry Milk at 7-11 and sat in my car and read in the parking lot for a while. I couldn't go any further, I was shaking too hard and my hands hurt from gripping the steering wheel so hard. :'(

I got back on the Highway and my mom had told me when I talked to her that the E-W highway should be better than the N-S so I should be fine once I hit either the 519 or 520. I decided to take the 519 as it would have more traffic and set out again. The visibility was such that I did 70 with ym 4-ways on until the 519 and then once I hit the 519 it took me a few minutes to turn left onto it because of the lack of visibility... I was SO afraid that a semi was going to come along and t-bone me... :(

I got onto the 519 and the visibility was better for a while and then it got worse again. I got stuck behind a semi but he was doing between 70 and 90 depending on the visibility and roads so I kept my 4-ways on and stuck behind him. When I got to the 23, he let me go around him and the visibility got better and I could do the speed limit all the way into Lethbridge. Total trip time, including the stop in Claresholm: 4 hours. I have NEVER taken 4 hours (even the time Lauren and I got turned around the first time driving back to Calgary when I first moved down to Lethbridge) to go either way...

One of the nice things was my mom and Laura kept in touch with me pretty much all of the way to make sure I was okay and not dead and such. But watching people sliding into the ditch or seeing the cars in the ditch was making me very nervous...

Once I got back here and unloaded my car (and stopped shaking) I did some research and some work on the projects that are due this week and then went to get John from school.

We got back and I went back to work, trying to get a bunch of stuff done before my Crew meeting tonight. I got a call at 6:15 saying that the 7:00 meeting was cancelled so I took a break and made "Baba's Macaroni" and garlic crescents for dinner and then curled up under a blanket for a little while.

Since then, I have worked on my film project and then Emily called and I spent some time on the phone with her and now, I'm writing on here. I do need to go do some more work and then go get some sleep. It's been a long day and the concentration (with a headache) that today required took a lot out of me.

No comments: